View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 05:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobragene View Post
I couldn’t get my oil temp high enough with a cooler so I disconnected it, didn’t seem to change much, but I haven’t had it out on an upper 90s yet. I do have an 7 qt. T pan.
My cover didn't really end up changing the final oil temp after it had been running for, say, about an hour. Instead my oil just heated up noticeably faster. Which, in turn, heated the engine up faster (not the coolant temperature, but the true temperature of the iron block). The oil temperature, with or without the cover on, will eventually settle in at the upper 80's Celsius, but it takes maybe a half hour longer to get there without the cover. Ehhh, the cover might bump the temperature up a degree or two. The car really runs its best when the entire engine is thoroughly warmed. The harder you run it, the better it runs. Now, with an iron block, aluminum heads, and aluminum roller rockers, you can really tell the disparate heat expansion and its effect on the solid flat tappets. When the car is cold (meaning 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit) the lash is .018 and the clatter is almost non existent. After ten or 15 minutes of driving, the aluminum heads and rocker arms have expanded out so if you measured the lash at that point it might be close to .030 and you can clearly hear it. But give it 20 minutes for the iron block to catch up and the lash drops down to about .025 or so and the valve train sounds just right with just the right amount of clatter.