View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
On a factory tour July 31 1991 I was told 1000 hp. I also saw phone bank room with 50 people answering phones.
Jeffery Davis (president of CMC in 1978 and LLC owner of all the Florida companies to follow) was president and LLC owner of Classic after coming aboard in the Heritage deal where he was Vice President.
He bankrupted Classic but with Classic guys and his Cobra knowledge he built his best car.
The Excaliburs are same chassis’s with 1 piece main rails and rear extensions.
If you can bend a chassis call NHRA or NASCAR they are looking for engine builders with skills.
Jeff lives in a mansion in Florida and runs a cosmetic surgery center with payment plans.
In their statement of power handling capability, did they ever share how they came to their 1000HP representation? Was there some sort of testing which they performed to determine that number, or was there design criteria that were used in fabrication to help sustain that performance, how did they come up with their number?

Usually when you are talking about chassis power handling capabilities the metric that is frequently used is torque not horsepower. The thing you would have a high interest in when building one of these vehicles is the chassis torsional rigidity which is not measured in horsepower.

If I have an engine that makes 1000 hp at 1600 rpm or I have an engiine that makes 1000 hp at 10,000 rpm, I have engines that place very different loadings on a chassis. 1000HP @ 1600 rpm produces a little north of 3200 ft/lbs of torque. 1000HP @ 10,000 rpm produces a little north of 500 ft/lbs of torque. Both engines produce 1000 HP. Which engine do you think would beat up the chassis more?

Horsepower is a ruse when used to evaluate the torsional ridgity of a chassis. The force you need to pay attention to is torque — and I would be willing to bet that the flamboyant 1000 HP representation for what that chassis could handle was nothing more than a pretty unscientific wild ass guess. Most importantly, without any testing what so ever to support the representation.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 06-17-2022 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar