Old 06-18-2022, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Joel

I'm not sure the Silver Solder is the way to go....do you have some one that can Tig weld the pieces together.....just not sure I would trust the silver solder??

other then that ...it looks good and should work fine.
I actually chose to use silver solder over TIG welding for this application. I used an industrial silver solder alloy that is most commonly used to attach carbide points to saw blades and machine tools. It should have plenty of strength given that there's really no stress on those parts. The hose that attaches to the tube is all of 4 inches long in a straight run and clamped to the chassis frame just beyond the hose end.

I have a TIG welder and have welded lots of SS things. Welding thin wall SS tubing (.028 wall in this case) can be fairly tricky in that you can easily plug or restrict the tube during welding. You don't run that risk with silver solder as the base metals never reach melting temperatures.

I'll keep an eye on it just in case. After getting it back together, I did take the car out for a drive including a tank fill-up. No tank pressure build up or gas leakage so far. Thanks for your help!