View Single Post
Old 06-19-2022, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Flickering alternator gage.

I went for a ride this morning and the car drove fine except for a couple odd flickers of the amp gage. Once the car was warmed up and the battery back up fully from cranking, the gage typically holds steady at a very slight charge with the parking lights on. But I noticed while driving along an occasional flicker to -50 and back - very quick, hard to catch and only one flicker. And then it will be several minutes before it happens again. Not doing anything but motoring along. I noticed it 3 times this morning in a 15 mi +/- drive but it probably happened several times when I was looking away.

I was once told on one of my old Mopars that any discharge flicker on the amp gage was a likely a momentary short somewhere in the harness/system. In the case of my 66 Satellite this was probably right as I found a melted harness section from the alternator to the bulkhead box. So that has me worried. It has a standard 60s era alternator replacement on it - nothing high-amp.

Everything looks good on the harness to the fuse box. I had to replace the alternator and big orange wire between the fuse box and alternator several years ago because of a loose connection at the alternator that partly fried it and melted the alt insulator. But never blew a fuse. I think I put an electronic VR on it but may have to go back to confirm.

Reason to worry?

Last edited by DanEC; 06-19-2022 at 09:36 AM..