View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
I have a 9 inch in my CR. The suspension is Fox Body but the rear axle doesn't need to be. I bought the 9 inch already shortened, with the proper 4 bar mounts welded on, a posi diff and converted to disc brakes from Currie Enterprises back when I put my CR together. There are probably better sources for such a package these days but you should be able to source a pre-made unit.

If you are thinking big HP/torque, the 9 inch is a proven answer. I did also add on a Panhard bar to the setup and the car handles like it's on rails
While the 9" Ford centers are unquestionably stronger in their built condition than the best 8.8" rear ends, the operative words are in their built condition.

The pinion stems on the 9" Fords do not exceed, let alone equal, the pinion stem strength on the 8.8" Fords until you get to the ProGear pinions that require a new carrier. Additionally while a 9" ring gear is unquestionably stronger than an 8.8 inch ring gear, the strength improvement is marginal at best.

More food for thought ...

The pinion on the 9" gear set is substantially lower than the piniion on the 8.8" gear set. This puts an additional angular displacement on the drive shaft to accomodate the lower pinion and modestly complicates the alignment of all the pieces.

More to consider, we have 2,100 to 2,500 lb cars. Ford uses the 8.8 rear end in all the performance Mustangs and it survives very well as these cars run low eight and high seven second elapsed times at 180 moh in the NHRA Showroom Stock class, behind supercharged engines producing in the 750 to 800 hp area and frequently higher. We are not even close to that level of abuse.

Lastly, if you want to make improvements in the way your car handles varying road conditions and turns, an IRS makes a big difference over a straigt axle or as some call them stick axles. Ford sells over the counter complete 8.8" IRS center sections with a posi carrier for around $1,200 list and after Tasca gets done discounting them you might come in at or below $1K — and it's all brand new CobraJet HD stuff!

Here's a link to it on the FRPP site;

click here => 2018 - 2022 Mustang Loaded Diff Hsg

BTW did you notice they do free shipping?? It is also available in either cast iron or cast aluminum. Lots of inducements to use these new parts.

Granted you still need to mount it in the chassis and buy hubs and axles from FRPP but the package is pretty impressive and nicely thought out — it's also seven second, 180 mph strong in a 3500 lb car! Unless you were planning on going way quicker and faster it's a walk in the park in a Cobra replica.

p.s. Here it is with the $!K price point at Summit Racing, click here => Ford Super 8.8

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 06-20-2022 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar