View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
The standard problem with stock superformance cars is too much rear and not enough front sway bar. Worth checking into also.
What he said ^^^

In these light, short wheelbase cars with IRS, it's a common mistake to over stiffen the rear suspension with sway bars and stiffer springs that are really speced for cars weighing hundreds of pounds more. After experimenting with the Jag rear in my Unique, I went with lighter springs and no rear sway bar at all which gave me the optimum balance between ride and handling for spirited street driving on very twisty (and often bumpy) roads. The original setup used stock Jaguar springs installed by the previous owner and they were ridiculously stiff. With the lighter springs and no rear bar - yes, there was a tiny amount of body roll but it wasn't significant and with the rear suspension allowed to travel freely, the ride was supple and comfortable. The rear end would plant far better when getting on it early out of a tight turn and the previous tendency to skip out on hard exits when the surface was a bit uneven was completely gone. Those who track their cars will need the extra stiffness in the rear, but for me - the ride and handling were spot-on. Cobras don't have to live up to the rep of being uncomfortable and ill-handling. Check out some road tests of street 427 Roadsters and in some of them you'll find the testers pleasantly surprised by how nicely the cars rode and handled.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...