View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Take a look to see if the builder left the ID tag on the rear end. It will be a small metal strip that is secured by a bolt on the rear housing cover. This can be decoded as to what year, open or posi, & ratio.

From there, you can go mild to wild for an upgrade path. Moser makes hardened axles. You can upgrade from 28 splines to 31 splines (axle to center section). You can have the housing strengthened with added metal welded on or even have the left & rt tubes replaced with heavier tubing, that is one of the weak spots for 1/4 mile racing. Also, replace/convert from the C clip retainers that secure the axles to the carrier. I have seen real serious racer types spend as much as $3500 on upgrading the 8.8 rear ends for high HP motors when racing.

But remember, that rear end was designed to handle 400 HP motors in a 3500 lb car. Weight, tire traction and HP all are part of the formula as what strength you need in the CR application.

That said, if I would be looking for what to do, I would convert from the C clip, upgrade to stronger axles, make sure I had posi, add a strengthened alum rear cover with load bolts on the caps, and it should take any power up to about 600 HP in a CR. You will not have enough traction to be able to "hook up" to be able to bust it!