View Single Post
Old 06-28-2022, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Question Disk brake sizing questions

I took a look at the front disk pads on my Cobra today and they don't look good. The most notable thing is uneven pad wear on both pads and both brakes. I pulled out a set of dial calipers and the caliper mounts have a 1/4" angle as compared to the disk surface. That explains the uneven wear! I wish I could remember the company I bought these from as I'd let everyone know so they could avoid them. With that poor quality of product, I'm guessing they're out of business now. It's been too long and I don't remember

So I'm starting research for some new front disk brakes. The Cobra is a CRL with MII type suspension and uprights/spindles. On the front, it currently has Granada rotors that are 11" and GM intermediate calipers that are single piston. On the rear, it has TBird disk brakes that are 10 1/2" rotors and single piston calipers. The brake effectiveness has been OK but it could stop better.

From a budget perspective, I'd like to keep the new brakes to the front ones only, if possible. In looking at the Wilwood MII brake options, there's some with an 11" disk and some with 12" disk that should be compatible with the 16" rims on the car.

So questions:
  1. Will the combination of 12" front disk with 10.5 rear disk work without any odd quirks? The brake system does have an adjustable bias valve.
  2. Will the 12" front disk be worth the extra money over the 11" disk for street driving? This isn't a track car but does get used from some spirited driving on occasions.

I did look back at old threads on brake upgrades but couldn't find answers to these specific questions. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.