View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

I think I just found my answer unless someone else has any input.

T-5 Interchange Website:

T-5 Interchange Information

Often I am asked by a person that has picked up a used Mustang T-5 transmission if the one they have found will fit their car. The T-5 has undergone many changes through the years and yes, many of them can swap. I will leave the 2005-2010 T-5 out of this, as these T-5s are drastically different.

These are the 6 basic Ford World-Class swap groups.
If you stay within your group there will be no problems!

bullet 85 through 89 V-8
bullet 90 through 93 V-8
bullet 94 through 95 V-8
bullet 94 through 98 V-6
bullet 99 through 04 V-6
bullet 05 through 10 V-6
bullet any 4-cylinder T-5
When venturing outside of your group these are the Items to look closely at. If you can find a suitable work-around, have at it!

bullet The length of the input shaft
bullet The pilot diameter of the input shaft
bullet Is there a neutral switch on the top cover
bullet Is the speedometer sender gear-driven, or all electronic
bullet The number of teeth on the internal speedometer gear
bullet The location of the cross-member on the tail housing
Length of the input shaft
There are three lengths of Mustang input shafts.

bullet 83-93 V-8,
bullet 94-04 V-6 /94-95 V-8,
bullet 4-cyl.
The 4-cyl shaft is about a quarter inch longer than the 83-93 V-8 shaft.
The difference is considered negligible, but the pilot bearings are also different sizes.

The 94-04 input shaft is about 11/16 longer than the 83-93 V-8. A 94-95 style bell housing is needed to go with a 94-95 length input shaft. These Fox and SN-95 V-8 housings can be swapped, but be careful. Your aftermarket headers may no longer fit because the clutch forks extend at different locations! The V-6 Bell housing is NOT interchangeable with the V-8 because it needs a 164t flywheel and a V-8 uses a 157t flywheel.

Sometimes the input shaft can be changed to obtain the correct length to allow for a transmission swap. Remember that the throwout bearing sleeves are different lengths also...

bullet If the gear on the input shafts have the same number of teeth, they can be swapped.
bullet Both input shafts must have use the same type of pocket bearing between the input and the main shaft. COBRA and T5Z inputs use a Caged, Tapered bearing.
bullet A World Class input shaft can be put on a non-world Class transmission as long as you use the World Class type synchronizer ring, and vice-versa.
bullet A 4-cyl, input shaft will never interchange with a V-8 input shaft because the tooth count is different.
bullet The 85-93 V-8 input shafts will work with the 94-04 transmissions and vice-versa. (V-8 and V-6)
bullet While the 4-cylinder shaft cannot be swapped, a 4-cylinder transmission can be put into an 83-93 Mustang with the right pilot bearing (Do you really want to do this?)