View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Question

An overdrive transmission is definitely required as part of the fix. I've been thinking about a transmission change in this Cobra for several years now but those funds always seemed like they'd be better spent on the homebuilt Ferrari and Lambo project cars. In hindsight, I'd have one less headache now and would have avoided a bunch of frustration in trying to get the Richmond Gear/Hurst shifter combination to have a reliable/smooth 2nd to 3rd gear shift. I've penciled in a new TKX in as a line item on the fix budget.

If it is a spun bearing, I'm thinking a good fix is likely a 347 rotating assembly kit. Does anyone have experience with the Eagle kit that comes already balanced with a harmonic balancer and flywheel included in the kit?

I'll also look into a windage tray and crank scraper, sounds like cheap insurance to me. I guess another good question is the oil pump. Standard volume or high volume? I'm fairly certain the current engine is outfitted with standard volume pump since the spec sheet didn't mention high volume. Is there a good way to visually tell if pump is standard or high volume?