View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzmac View Post
Recently during rush hour I was stuck in a long line to turn left and just idling for maybe 10 minutes the car started to overheat. I thought it might have been caused by an air pocket so I decided I'm going to give it a good engine/rad coolant flush.

After reading some threads today on Clubcobra I decided to check the fans because I don't remember them coming on when it overheated. It turns out the relay doesn't kick in at all and the manual switch on the dashboard doesn't work either. I have to assume this is the reason for overheating when idling, correct? At speed the car always runs about 80-90 degrees.

I understand replacing the relay sensor by the rad is a pain in the ass so I want to start by at least fixing the manual switch for now.

I'm guessing it's a little unusual that both the relay and manual switch were to go at the same time. How would I go about figuring out where the problem lies?
First, what do you mean by "overheating"? What temperatures were you seeing? Did it boil over and puke coolant? If so, how much? Could that quantity be simply a result of coolant expansion at the higher temperature?

Second, the override switch on my dash merely triggers the relay. IOW, rather than the relay being triggered by the temperature sensor, the switch provides the current to do that - at the same terminal. If yours is wired the same way then you'll need to find and replace the relay to resolve the issue - thereby 'killing two birds with one stone' as it were. Disclosure: Mine is not a Superformance, so other Superformance owners will be better positioned to advise you on how it's wired.

Good luck in sorting this out.