View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #870 Salsa Red w/White stripes Roushcharged 4.6L 3V
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Go down to the relay and disconnect the low voltage wire from the dasboard switch. Wire up a 12 volt lamp and turn on the switch. If the lamp lights, it is not the switch. Connect the fans (one at a time) to a 12V souce to see if they work. If they do, you need a new relay. If they don't, you need new fans and possibly more.

Here is an excellent 12 inch replacement fan that pulls way more air than the stock fan at a lower amperage draw, PermaCool 18122
Had a similar problem on my BDR. Light on dash said fan should have automatically turned on as car reached ~210 but didn’t. Car did not overheat but got too hot for my liking. Manual switch did not turn fan on either.

Was troubleshooting using approach similar to @eschaider. Shorted the manual switch wires and the fan worked so I replaced the switch. Worked for a few months then started to idle heat up again intermittently. Turned out the fan would only start in certain stopped positions. Moved the fan blades a little and it would start. Installed a new Spal fan and problem has gone away.