View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims210 View Post
That Factory Five thread is making me nervous now. I'm well aware of aeration which is what sparked my original concern. My dipstick goes into the block and not through the pan. I have to assume the stick is OEM since Moroso says it's what should be used. I figured they would include/sell their own stick if their pan required aftermarket. Based on that thread it seems there were problems with the OEM stick hitting the baffle which leads to an incorrect reading. Supposedly the issue was corrected by a redesign. I don't know what year that was done. My build was somewhere in the 2012 to 2013 range and not sure if I got the redesign. I don't know who to listen to now. Moroso, Ford, dipstick? Here's the link to the Moroso pan from their website with specs. The installation instructions don't seem to mention about fill levels and sticks.

https://www.moroso.com/ford-5-0-modu...-replica20570/
That pan has a pretty good baffle but no windage tray or scraper. Here is the short way home;

With the pan off fill it with oil until the oil comes to the bottom of the baffle. Keep track of how much oil this required. When your engine is running you will need one more quart of oil to wet the inside of the engine. In addition to that you will have somewhere between a ½ quart and ¾ quart of oil in suspension around the rotating assembly.

Lets put some additional numbers to the puzzle. Assume your pan can hold 8 quarts of oil up to the bottom of the baffle in the pan, you need to check this number with the pan off and pouring 8 qts of oil in the pan. Drain the pan put it back on the engine and put 8 qts of oil in. Insert the dipstick and check where this puts the oil level on the stick. It will likely be close to the factory mark if not the same.

Now add to that 1 quart to wet the insides of the engine and another ½ quart for the oil that is suspended in the oil fog created by the rotating assembly and you have 9.5 quarts — same as Moroso's spec. Check the dipstick oil level one more time. This is the level you want to fill to with the engine off and cold.

Mark your dipstick for this oil level, it is your fill to oil level when doing an oil change or topping off the oil level in the pan. Viola! You are done.

p.s. Give some serious consideration to an oil scraper for the crank and a windage tray for the pan. An oil accumulator like Moroso or Accusump offers would not be a bad idea either. Under acceleration and braking you wil have the ability to uncover the oil pump pickup which will draw air into the oil system — which of course is the engine equivalent of arsenic for humans.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 07-11-2022 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar