View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
I get all of that Bill - sites like this typically ebb and flow over time. What I don't get is Brent's seeming unwillingness to commit much if any time to the site, yet at the same time his seeming unwillingness to sell it to those who would. Hence, the rudderless ship comment. Sort of a "I won't put any time and effort into this, but I won't sell to let someone else put the time and effort into it." It's just very odd.
I'd be even more suspicious if he sold it. This edge of cardom (not just Cobras) has, as been pointed out, a declining population of interested stakeholders (sorry, they're getting old) and there is little or no interest from a younger generation for any kind of Cobra class product. Look at number of new members over time and active participants (a steady population of old-timers) and this place, if it is a business, is on its way out.

I applaud Alpha02 and the others that want to take this over, but remember he has a number of other forums that are likely to be part of the deal. Who knows how much revenue it generates from the ads (Craft engines and the muffler place being the ones that I remember). Does the ad revenue pay for the hosting and support costs?

Buying this had better be a passion. I don't think anyone is getting rich.

PS. Don't even think of making this a "pay to play" site. Every car forum that tried it that I know of has failed (all but 1) or become free again (1).

It is a treasure trove of Cobra info for virtually every brand. And it contains the history of some lesser known brands that is useful to people running across one of them in a garage.

Good luck to whoever gets the keys if anyone ever does.