View Single Post
Old 08-19-2022, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

The issue here is one of a declining TAM (Total Available Market). The population of Cobra Buyers is decreasing over time. Young people aren't drawn to the styling and care and feeding of a totally manually operated car that is only a toy. The population of people that first heard of the Cobra in the 60s is aging out. I loved my cobra when I was 57. Now at almost 70 it would be a chore to "put it on".

Thus the manufacturers can't make enough volume to support their costs. The result is either consolidation (mergers, true in normal commodity markets) or attrition.

Sadly, we will see more.

I suspect that Superformance will stay around. They still build lots of cars and have other lines to help spread manufacturing around.

Backdraft and Factory Five probably survive for a while.

Others with low volumes and long lead times will suffer.

Sadly I think that Shelby will probably bow out sooner or later. Kirkham might last a little longer. Both have a pricing and volume structure that I doubt is sustainable.

Others like ERA will struggle. Long lead times even for high quality product are a hold off for buyers. Especially for the "getting older" crowd.