View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I've been considering EFI for quite some time, looking at both throttle body and multi-point systems. As such, I've been talking to people with direct personal experience, watching forums and Facebook groups, etc. to get a sense of what works and what doesn't.

While the auto industry has used and proven EFI for decades, it seems to me the after-market industry still has a long way to go before it consistently and reliably provides an alternative to 'modern' carburetors.

I realize those with EFI systems that are running well aren't spending their time shouting their successes from the rooftops, but there are a lot of disgruntled users out there with sometimes huge problems.

I can wrap my head around the high probability that most of the FiTech or Sniper issues are due to flawed installations, exhaust leaks, etc., but I hear far too much about failed ECUs, oxygen sensors, long delivery times for replacement parts, poor customer service, yada, yada, yada.

I'll keep watching the industry to see if the situation improves but, for now, I'm going to stand pat and stick with my Holley Street Avenger.

Please, no lengthy dissertations to explain how my observations and opinions are incorrect.
The sweet taste of apparent low cost, apparent simplicity and visual similarity to a carb system we are already familiar with fades as the buyer attemptes to gain functionality he thinks ought to be present in his system only to find it is not.

Easily the best fully featured system available right now is the MS3Pro Plug and Play systems available from DIY Auto Tune <=clickable. Pick any one of the three Ford PnP systems they have to offer and you will not be disappointed! They are the poor man's Haltech, Motec — and you don't need $8-10 thousand. They are actually affordable!

They plug right into an OEM Ford wiring harness and use OEM Ford Sensors. Buy the Harness from Ford where they are still available or scrounge one out of a salvage yard and you are good to go. The 03/04 SVT Cobra unit comes with an excellent base tune that delivered somewhere around 440 HP out of a stock O3 Cobra.

The DIY AutoTune route is easily the shortest way home from both a price and installation point of view. The ECU comes with absolutely excellent tuning software and data logging software. When you are on their site check out the list of features the EFI provides, it is stunning!

This is a video of the install in an 03 Cobra, click here => MS3Pro Install The video is 7:45 minutes and the install is really as simple as it looks.

Here is the DIYAutoTune first start Video, First Start Video The video is 10:51 minutes.

Here is another install video including first start, Malcolm Install The story plays out exactly the same.

You can easily get snookered with half steps and throttle body this and somehting else that sort of installs. This stuff just works — right out of the box! It gives you access to every tuning variable but does not require you to use the more sophisticated stuff unless you want to. It is for sure the short way home and there is lots of YourTube video support along with an active user community on their website.

Check out the Vids, you will not be disappointed!

BTW the EFI unit allows you to plug in your engine displacement in liters or cubic inches and will work for any sized engine and any firing order. Injector sizing is also fully customizeable, high impedance, low impedance, low flow rates up to multi thousand cc's per injector flow rates.

This stuff is the short way home for real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Regarding the state of the aftermarket EFI offerings, I confess I haven't looked seriously at them for several years. When I did look about five years ago, I was surprised by the ready availability of "factory refurbished" units. I had to wonder why the manufacturer had so many returns they could carry a large stock of refurbished units. The most likely reasons (faulty components and high difficulty of installation) caused me to drop them from consideration.
You and I think very similarily Tommy. If the units are reliable where did all the cores come from for rebuilds?

If you are considering EFI check out the MS3Pro stuff I was yacking about above. It works no matter what size or power level the engine, supports nitrous, supports, turbos, supports superchargers, flex fuel — the list just goes on and on.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 08-22-2022 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar