View Single Post
Old 08-21-2022, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Literally. The electric infrastructure is not sized to replace the "watts produced by petroleum" with "watts produced by generators". Your house probably has a 150-200amp service. The transformers in your neighborhood are sized to that size of service multiplied by the number of units they service. So is the feed to the transformers. Now multiply that by 2 to service charging 3 or 4 EVs every night (how many people have just one car?) and you see that the infrastructure simply cannot handle distribution of 3-4x the power over the existing grid.

Think of it going the other way. How many dorms were flooded when everyone flushed their toilets at the same time?

Oh and expect electricity rates to increase to cover the cost of accelerated infrastructure upgrades.
I honestly don't know the real answer, but there are plenty of articles and plenty of people on the Internet that disagree and say that our current infrastructure can handle the increase of the number of EV's. They say that it's a myth that our current electric system can't handle many more EV's.

What I will say is that there are many, many, many homes in my neigborhood with 2-4 EV's charging everyday in our hot summer weather. And PG&E hasn't had any issue to my knowledge.

Again, I don't know who's BS'ing who.

Last edited by RodKnock; 08-21-2022 at 05:31 PM..