View Single Post
Old 09-14-2022, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Earlier you said you did it to let air out from under the hood. I know on the traditional forward-facing scoop there is more air coming out than going inn due to the scoop being so far rearward that at speed, air has boiled up over the hood and the scoop and the air under the hood is stacked up to the point where some is coming out the scoop. I can see where there would be a bunch coming out. I feel that was the point of the Daytona Coup, they sent the air that went through the radiator back out the hood. so at least that air didn't go under trying to lift the car. I'm sure there was a benefit for down force with that air and the hard top. I can see cutting out anything over the distributer in a forward-facing scoop.
I'm looking at my car ais if was a house that needs a remodel. How far do I tear out the old to make the remodel a success? I just had the car worked on and I had the car back without air cleaners. It ran way better than with the air cleaners on. The original builder equipped the car with a DOVE Tunnel Wedge dual four intake manifold. It fits under hood but not good air cleaner that will flow great volumes of fresh air. I have lived with this thought from the get go back in 99. The hood and the dual carbs being what is limiting what air cleaners would fit even cold air carb tops are too tall to fit. under the hood. I know that is not an original 65 427 Shelby Cobra. but can be more than it is. A good looking lump in the hood I feel would be a better fit for my car. The nostalgic scoop is just for looks, keeps the rain from shorting out the distributer and leaving me beside the road. My trimmed down S&H air cleaners are a limiting factor. They may have saved me from ruin. Leave the air cleaners off and dirt will get in the cylinders. but it runs great. I know a guy with full tunnel port 427 engine and Webbers there are so many choices, and they all have trade offs.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 09-14-2022 at 10:30 AM..