View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane basic kit, 408W efi
Not Ranked     

Hi all,
Just a progress update on my build, and links to videos for you to enjoy. I’m 3 weeks into the project, about 35 hours total, and have 4 videos to share.
Thus far things have been mostly straightforward. I have run into the following issues, though nothing to write home about.

• Left lower control arm needed to be expanded to ride evenly in the frame brackets, apparently a known issue that I came across readily while searching the Hurricane Forum.

• One of the 4” swedge tubes had been swedged/tapped into the tube at an angle. Instead of bothering Hurricane about this, I called Southwest Speed. They elected to sell me a new one, which was about $20 shipped. The replacement tube had the same issue! So I ordered and received one from a different manufacturer, which was straight and true.

• As expected, I had to shorten the steering rack, I took about 1.25” off each side, which left plenty of threads inside and plenty of adjustment.

• Learning curve regarding having to collect the proper fasteners, which has caused a delay in building out the rear brakes and the assembly of the motor/tranny unit. Essentially, I have made separate orders for the following hardware, somehow assuming each hardware set was included with the new part: T-bolts for mounting the brake backing plate to the rear axle, bellhousing bolts that were the correct size, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, pressure plate pins, water pump bolts, motor mount bolts, and….who knows what else is next. I ordered a starter….will probably need bolts for that. Yet another order! I am choosing to go with fancy fasteners (mostly ARP); I know I could just go down to the hardware store and collect what I need, but I wanted everything to look uniform. I probably could have started on the trunk and cockpit tub by this point had these delays not happened.

• Still waiting on the rear axle diff from Hurricane to complete that part of the build.

• I seem to be receiving a lot of open box parts when ordering stuff through Amazon, even though it’s originating through Summit and other large retailers. Such was the Holley fuel pump I ordered, so I’m returning that and hopefully the next order will be in a new box with all documentation.

• Had the guys at Roger Kraus Racing (right here in my hometown!) mount my tires, and Brandon there said he would be happy to do my alignment when the time comes. I think I will trailer the car down there once it’s running, but pre-body mounting, to make the alignment a snap for those guys.
Next steps are to wrap up the fuel lines, the rear end when the parts arrive, and the e-brake cables. From there, the cockpit tub will go on, and, I’ll be reading forward into the manual.

These forums have been indispensable in making this build move forward quickly!