View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 06:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
Hello,

I recently got a 4 wheel alignment on my ERA #575. Car drives smooth, no shimmies or problems tracking the car straight. However, I noticed that when pushing the performance and applying harder steering on curvy roads, the steering feels much less linear, like I'm tracking into a turn at say 40-50mph and when the normal instinct is to start increasing my turning of the wheel, the car doesn't turn without over steering the steering wheel. So as you transition from a straight stretch of road to a gradually increasing radius, you need to apply a disproportionate turn of the steering wheel. It feels like there is play in the wheel yet on straight driving, I can jiggle the steering wheel and the car noticebly moves left and right. I could see this performance in turns being an excessive play in the steering but it only displays this excessive play in the turns. Curious if anyone has experienced this and if there is an adjustment people have done to remedy this situation.

Thanks
Frank in Connecticut
ERA 575

Quite a few items can cause the lack of feel, so let me ask a few questions:

Age of tires
Make and model of tires
Ambient temperature outside
Mileage on your chassis/build
Maintenance to suspension (IE: lube as an example, tightening/checking all connections, an alignment shop may not know enough about your build to check everything)

We will start with these basics, then go from there.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS