View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 04:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You'll note in the vids that I posted in the thread that is referenced above that I put a magnetic dial gauge on the rack and measured it both before and after my repairs. There actually is a relatively common industry standard out there for steering rack slop. OK, they don't call it steering rack slop but that's what it is. And they like to call them “steering gear insulators” and “steering gear isolators.” If you don't use their particular lingo then they won't tell you what the slop value is. Regardless of their specs, less slop is better than more slop. Here is one shop manual:

Quote:
Check for movement with the front wheels normally loaded (on the ground). If the housing moves more than 1.5mm (0.06 inch) the steering gear isolators may have deteriorated or the steering gear mounting bracket nuts should be tightened to 37-52 N-m (27-38 lbs-ft). If the housing movement is still excessive after tightening the steering gear mounting bracket, replace the steering gear isolators.