View Single Post
Old 10-17-2022, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427" Stroker Smallblock with Trick flow heads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwize View Post
I have a 427" Windsor in my Midstates cobra, I'm very happy with the powerband but it took a lot of studying ahead of time to make sure the Gearing/cam/powerband would be where I wanted it.

I wanted the broad power of a 'Real' FE 427 without all the weight and heat of a big block. Works perfectly with the Tremec 5 speed and the 3.50 gears. It's got a pretty mellow hydraulic cam but it was matched to a specifically ported Twisted Wedge head and Victor Jr intake that flows really well in the .300-.500" range. Mid lift flow is critical for broad torque and if done right can make more average torque and power than a bigger cam with peak lift flow heads.
I realize I replied to this 15 Years ago and I'm happy to tell you my 427 Stroker Windsor is still going strong after a few thousand trouble free street miles.

IMO having good cylinder heads and a mild compression and cam (my motor is 10:1 and have 232/237@.050 duration and .515/.515 lift) is the key, don't over-compress and overcam it and you'll be very happy.

The larger port window 11R Trick flow twisted wedges (mine are actually the smaller original TW's but max ported to 11R flow rates) and a ported victor Jr with a well-tuned 800 Edelbrock AVS has a nice choppy idle (10-12" Vacuum @ 900rpm) with a Tremec 5 speed and 3.50 gears makes for wall-to-wall 'Big Block' torque and easy 2000-ish RPM highway cruising. i can't be happier with the way mine runs, you can roll out on the big torque very tractably or stab it harder and haze and fish tail the tires at will all you want.

Sure you can do this as well with a 390-410" Windsor just as easily but for me i wanted the "proper" 427 (which was really only 425 from the factory) in my ride.