View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Billy Idol's ERA 427 Cobra Replica #044

Details on Billy's ERA Cobra,
I ordered the kit from ERA (Peter P.) in 1981, took delivery in May of 1982. The S/N was 044. I lived in Orange Cty, CA. I originally built the car with a 427 side oiler with 12:1 compression, a real mistake. It was painted by Pete Santini's shop in Orange Cty, color Honda Accord red with silver stripes. I did all of the aluminum work in the trunk and some of the aluminum in the engine compartment, I subbed the balance to a shop in Costa Mesa. I never installed the ERA data plate on the footbox and filled in the ERA 044 in the side of the inner left fender fiberglass. I wanted to fake out a lot of people. The car as I sold it in 1987 had a 428 Cobra Jet that was great for taking real driving trips along the California coast and attending shows 100 miles away. The entire engine compartment was covered in aluminum and it also had the famous puke-tank mounted to the firewall near the rear right side valve cover. I mounted the battery in the trunk and raised the right-side footbox for more legroom. This car won 1st place at the SAAC convention in Anaheim in 1985.The car won the best Cobra replica at the annual kitcar show at Knotberry Farm in 1995. It was also featured in a 3 page article in Peterson's Kit Car Magazine's May 1986 issue. I can tell you some funny stories about Billy's ownership.