View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ERA Cobra with Ferrari V12 engine

I saw this car at the Cobra Owners Club of America, Orange County Chapter's show in June 1985 staged at South Coast Village in Newport Beach. He parked his car near my ERA Cobra. A lot of members and other spectators looked at the car and I'll use the words: "Speechless".

This essentially was a Ford powered event, same as SAAC shows. People were stunned with the choice of engine and impressed with the build quality. Having just finished my ERA, I spent time looking at how they managed to get that wide engine (6 side-draft Webers) into the compartment. They moved the battery to the trunk, widened the engine compartment by moving the interior front wheel-wells outward by 3-4 inches per side aft of the coil over shock towers. The engine & carbs were pure "Eye-Candy".

No one from our club bad mouthed the choice of the engine, they were impressed with the build.

Steve Arntz introduced his replica Cobra, late 70s, to the automotive world and did a great job of impressing all the auto mags: R&T, C&D, Petersen Publishing and their M/T, CC,HR & Kitcar. However, he was quick to promote Chevy power and many of the Arntz cars ended up not being warmly welcomed @ COCOA & SAAC events.

If spectators asked me about putting a Chevy in an ERA, I told them to go build the replica of the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport lightweight being produced by Mid-American Corvette in the Quad Cities, Ill.