View Single Post
Old 01-13-2023, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

I was a senior in High School in Concord, CA in 1969. I had a 55 Chevy BelAir 2 door hardtop that had been repainted dark green metallic. One of my school buddies had a next-door neighbor that had recently gotten out of Dental school, was single and in his own practice.

I had popped by to pick up Hale for an event. As I pulled up in front of Hale's house, I could see this dark green 2-seater sports car in the next-door driveway. A guy had just come out of the house and when I got out of my car, he shouted "nice car- love the color". I said the same back to him. The colors were so close you could have thought they were painted together!

He came over and wanted to know more about my car, so I gave him the nickel tour.

I them asked him about his car. He took me over and said it was a Cobra. I had seen them in my Road & Track mags of course but was unsure. Just remember it had some of the sexiest lines I had ever seen on a car! As I remember it visually now, I think it was a most likely a street version 427 in what I suspect was ivy green metallic.

He asked me if I had ever been in a Cobra and of course I said "No". So, he took me for a ride. What a car! I think it was the 2nd fast accelerating car I have ever been in (the 1st was a MG TD about the same time with w "built" Chevy 350, about 400 HP- scariest ride I have ever had). He said it was his only car and it was his daily wheels. He said he would enjoy his life as long as he was single.

That was how I became "Snake bit". Don't know whatever happened to him and the car.

Reconnected with Hale about 10 yrs ago thru one of the social pages- he lives in Hawaii now. He remembered the car, he was not much of a car guy, but lost track of the neighbor when he went to college. I think he said the neighbor had moved away when he came home.