View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 02:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMat View Post
Hi Bill,

Car is titled in OHIO
What is listed on the title:

Make: "---"
Model: "---"
Model description: COBRA
Year: 2009

It also has a BRAND: NMVTIS30 REPLICA

The car is titled with the manufacturers VIN
The make and model are blank?
Can't say I have ever seen an Ohio title like that.

In this case, you'll need to contact the Ohio DMV and have them issue you a letter explaining why this is so. In addition, you'll need to contact Backdraft for information on their cars. NJ will not take the title at face value without at least the letter from the Ohio DMV. Having the information on your car directly from Backdraft (unless you have a copy of the original MSO/MCO) will help explain to the NJ MVS what you have. The letter from Ohio will explain why the Make and Model lines are blank. The NMVTIS 30 may supersede everything, and make it easier to title, as it is part of the National federal database.

As for overall titling, NJ will title it as a 2009 replica, as that is what it is. Since they used the manufacturers VIN, and it is now in the national database, forget about retitling it as anything but what it is....Although, you may be able to get a "collectors" registration (triangular inspection sticker), but that is it. Unless you want to take a ride to the special titles division on State street in Trenton, I suggest the Washington, NJ DMV office, small enough to give you real customer service, knowledgeable enough to spend the time on the phone with the special titles office to steer you in the right direction from there.

Hope you find this helpful.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 01-20-2023 at 02:27 PM..