View Single Post
Old 01-28-2023, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Looking for a CAD scan of an original Cobra body

Hey everyone,

My name is Jacob; I'm 27 years old, and like most others on this forum, I have been obsessed with anything automotive since I was a child. However, I share a particular passion for Shelby. Fortunately, I grew up with an uncle who was a crew chief in Nascar and Indy car and taught me everything he knew. I assisted my uncle in the scratch-build of a GT1 Alan Mann replica and the restoration of multiple muscle cars and Ferraris over a few years. I'm now in a position where I can devote my time to a scratch build, and I've decided to start with a Cobra replication. A few days ago, I purchased all of Chuck Lindquist's 427 drawings and a laundry list of suspension parts and knock-off wheels from Cobra Racing, focusing on originality.

I could buy a fiberglass body, but what's the fun in that? I have some experience using an English wheel and constructing an aluminum body, and at this point, I don't think my brain would let me purchase a fiberglass body because I love to tinker and learn! I'd like to ask if anyone has a surface scan of an original 427 Cobra body. I don't just expect someone to hand anything over for free because of the tremendous amount of work involved with a scan of this caliber, but I wouldn't mind paying someone for such a scan so that I can create an accurate body in CAD. Also, if a person wouldn't mind lending me a hand in scanning a body, I would love to share the body buck that I construct with that person or the community if possible because it seems we have multiple resources and dimensions for a chassis but none for the scratch build of a body buck.

Awesome to finally make a post on this forum and meet a few Cobra enthusiasts here as well! I will keep everyone updated on my project as I begin the chassis and receive components. Thanks, guys, and talk to everyone soon.

-Jacob