View Single Post
Old 02-04-2023, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

EZ$

Thank you for your input. To "flesh out" particular SPCNS legal concerns, note the following:

CALIFORNIA FINALIZES PROGRAM TO PROVIDE AMNESTY TO OWNERS OF ILLEGALLY TITLED/REGISTERED SPECIALLY CONSTRUCTED VEHICLES
https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...rs-illegally-0
Yes, it doesn't have it inspected again, but what if you need Referee services?
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

panteralee

Excellent point! Mine is titled YEAR: 0000 and MAKE: SPCNS. Barring an update I haven't read yet, the information the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) spokesperson gave, "whatever is replaced must be replaced by the same thing," is an oversimplification. I believe what he met to say was that all replacement parts and components must conform to the Referee's Label. The referee's label is what carries the weight. But if I discover an update at the beginning of next week, that notion could change.

Based solely on my personal experience, I have seen how nasty and expensive litigation can be. I prefer staying out of trouble.
__________________________________________________ __________________________

eschaider

It will take another day to read everything I have and check for legislative and departmental revisions.
But at this point, my documentation indicates that you may not be entirely correct.

Plus, there are other issues as well. For example, say an overly enthusiastic officer gives you a citation for excessive noise because he believes the side pipes are too loud. What do you do?

Barring an update, I haven't read yet; the most viable solution is to get a" clearance of a law enforcement citation for excessive exhaust noise," a service provided by the BAR Referee.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Blas

You are correct, Blas. Unless an unfortunate event raises eyebrows and subsequent scrutiny, the probability of SB100 issues is low. But selling the vehicle without full disclosure is an entirely different picture. At that point, I believe the car could quickly become a litigation magnet.

If, as a worst-case scenario, something were to happen, such as an accident, or the new owner's mechanic noticed a disparity and used a civil suit to make them whole. As leverage, the "wronged" owner could notify the California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and if the problem is egregious, it could bring criminal charges. I've seen opposing attornies use State and Federal authorities to further their case; trust me, it isn't uncommon.

So, I think it's a simple, if-then, cost versus benefit situation.

Last edited by Speedbump_; 02-04-2023 at 12:23 PM..