View Single Post
Old 02-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Patrick,

I have done aluminum brackets on race cars. It is the best way to go to minimize shifting of the rack or sway bars. Of course it is also stiffer which may not be what someone wants on a street car. For each benefit, there is a detriment. Poly bushings are a nice in-between.

Jim
The steering rack on ERA cars is kind of interesting. If you have a car earlier than #758 (for the 427 cars) then you have either an old Subaru rack or a modified Flaming River rack that has been milled down to fit Subaru sized brackets. Bob has a box of the rubber bushings that fit, but they had a tendency to tear on my car and, after replacing them a couple of times, I started hunting for a poly bushing that had the right dimensions for the driver's side bushing that was tearing. I finally found a poly Whiteline KSR-202 that had one of the bushings in that kit with the right dimensions. Nobody makes direct poly switchouts for the original Subaru bushings as they are rather obscure. At least Whiteline was kind of enough to have posted their exact dimensions for all of their stuff so I was able to find one that fit right. So far the poly bushing is holding up nicely.