Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2023, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvettx2 View Post
Both of those tires are pretty hard and not very sticky for a Cobra. Coopers are 440 tread wear. Like rocks! I am going to bet my 20 year old Michelin Pilots with 220 wear are going to hook up better than new Cooper rocks. I would say they are in the 300 vs 220 when new. All depends on the condition of the tire. I have seen 4 year old tires cracking in AZ. All depends on the quality and the rubber they are using.
I was thinking of using the Michelin pilot sport all season 4’s on mine because we are limited with tyre options in the UK let alone wide tyres. Also we get a lot more inclement weather than most of you lucky people.

I’m having to go with 17’s because the available and cost effective 15” options do not have a high enough speed rating to pass our new registration check, plus I’ve been told can get a bit of unsettling rear end wiggle on the higher profile tyres with high Hp cars?
I have gone a little ott with power so am after the best grip I can get.

I was toying with using 315/35/17 rears for as much tyre contact as possible - which the all seasons come in. However they have a treadwear of 540 which is pretty high. However it performs extremely close to the pilot sport 4S in multiple tests, which has a 300 treadwear. I was surprised by the treadwear rating as normally I’d associate that with a highway hockey puck that wouldn’t perform well.