View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Niles

I think I said "Side step" the clutch. That's the term for removing your foot from the clutch so that it engages instantly. ie you move your foot to the side and just let it go.

It probably seems hard on the clutch (and it is) but not as hard as slipping it at high RPM. The pressure plate "grabs" the disc with very little slip. It is very hard on the drive line and engine mounts. I use a ratchet strap tying the drivers side of the engine down to the frame. It absorbs the shock that would try and twist the engine towards the passenger side. Even my little motor has a lot of energy when your spinning a Flywheel and pressure plate at 6000 RPM and "side step" the clutch. The Big Blocks guys have to be real careful as their torque would be VERY hard on a Cobra chassis and mounts. I think that is why a lot of them use automatics. But I really don't know for sure.

To give you an idea of just how hard the above is. My car has a 60' time of 1.47 seconds. Which means that the car goes from a dead stop to 55 MPH in 60' in 1.47 seconds. If a car has a 1.30 60' time (my goal) it would be 0-60 in 1.30 seconds in 60'.

Oh and one last thing. I'm told that for every .1 second you reduce your 60' time you decrease your 1/4 mile time by .17 seconds. That is why the launch is the most important part of a drag race, IMO... Now I'd better get off this thread before the BB guys go ballistic

Regards,

Last edited by justa6; 06-27-2002 at 04:13 PM..