View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If I recall correctly, from personal experience, the common TH350 or TH400 does downshift when you approach a slow bend in high gear and push the throttle to accelerate.

Depending on vacuum in the manifold.

Also, applying WOT you have a kick.down switch sending the transmission into 2nd or 1st, again depending on vehicle speed and engine vacuum. Not nice in a long bend.

The reverse happens when you accelerate smootly through a bend, lift slightly, and the automatic shifts up.

Not a very controlled manner to drive fast.

What I did have once, if I remember correctly, was a "manual" TH350 which changed gears only when you shifted by hand. It would even roll away from standstill in 3rd, if you so desired.

Good for driving in the snow. Especially with M&S BFGs...

As posted before, a Shamrock may not have enough room for a clutch fork and pedal. Check with someone who has a manual in it.

When I took Jan Nel's Mk1 Shamrock to port almost 20 years ago, I really struggled to find space. But I am 6.4, which is cramped in most Cobras. It had a manual.

Clive C, with the supercharged Shamrock had a manual, if I am not mistaken. 15 years ago. I can't recall why I didn't take his offer to drive it (at Killarney)