View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahmohumm View Post
Another question for the forum (and please don't shoot me): EFI or carb?
Only if you do a full MAF based system. Any of the configurations are manual tuning to your conditions for altitude. MAF configurations compensate for altitude automatically (just like your new car). But if you use the other configurations you've essentially bought a $4000 electronic carburetor and will have to re-tune if you change altitude.

Much has been written on this of late. Use Search or just scan topic titles.

Also, if you're looking for one of the faux-8-stacks, then EFI is your only logical choice. As much as I think EFI on standard engines is a waste of money (same result, much more cost), the 8-stack is a completely different animal and as much as I loved them back then, I wouldn't put whipping a set of real Webers into submission on anyone. Not the initial setup but they are complex mechanical linkages that do "wander" and getting them properly aligned should they do so is a chore that is left to the pro. Like Ed said, finding someone to do carbs is getting difficult, but finding a real Weber pro is only 10% of that remaining population. But do 8-Stack only if you do MAF or you're right back in the re-tuning if you move to Colorado.

PS. As to the expense of dyno tuning carbs, I think that isn't necessary most of the time. Back in the day a had two carbs - one jetted for high altitude and one for "home". They were just out of the box. Noone ever dyno-tuned the carb in a 57 chevy. If you track the car it's different, but I wouldn't consider it an essential step.

PPS. If you get your engine built, it will be tuned by the builder on an engine dyno (not a chassis dyno which is a more expensive post-build approach). If you buy a crate engine, e.g. Roush, it's already done too...

PPPS. Re: the qualifications of tuners and people that can zero-in carbs and after market EFI systems: Yes, carb guys are rare, but the after market EFI tuning is equally specialized and found in speed shops. Unfortunately, people who put EFI on a 60s engine are somehow connecting the operation of the engine to the completely top down designed Coyote in a Mustang. It ain't...

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-26-2023 at 10:35 AM..