View Single Post
Old 04-01-2023, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Thanks Paul. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. My body shop guy had painted my 67 Mustang coupe a few years back. James is a young guy that had just opened his own shop. Has since become like a nephew to me.

He fell in love with the Mustang. Sometimes I think it was because it was a California car without the rust problems.

When he found out I was thinking about selling it, we struck a deal that he would give me half of what I wanted in cash and the other half would be for painting the Cobra.

He was losing his lease and shop space around here is about impossible to find without starting new. And because this area is recently slammed with people from Illinois building multi-million dollars homes, contractors are not even available to build out a shop.

So he emptied his shop of all projects and spent 6 weeks almost entirely on the Cobra. I think he was working about 60 hrs a week on it to get it "just right". He even covered the cost of the tow truck to bring it to the house. After he delivered it yesterday, he had to go back to the shop one last time to move the rest of his shop tools out. I felt sad for him, but he has 2 offers from custom shops in the area without even looking around. He is know for the quality of his work and his hard, honest way of doing things. Impressive for a 35 yr old with 14 yrs experience!

Now, he wants to help me finish assemble it. Said he is "taking the next month off to relax" and can be here next week in my garage. I think he's afraid I will scratch the finish!

Last edited by Chicagowil; 04-01-2023 at 05:25 AM..