View Single Post
Old 06-28-2002, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Cliff,
I am running the Tilton floor mounted set with two mc's. I recently removed the brake pedal and mc's to swap one mc for a smaller one and move the pedal a bit closer to the throttle.

I had the car up on jack stands and the wheels off. I bench bled the mc's and re-installed the pedal and lines. First I let each caliper gravity bleed. This takes some time so just light up a nice cigar and let nature take it's course. Every now and then I would pump the pedal ever so slowly. You could feel the difference as the pedal would start to 'harden up.'

I then set up with my vacuum bleeder and started on the passenger rear. Then the drivers rear. Then the passenger front and then the drivers front. I had to cycle several times.

Took it out and the car stops on a dime.

Now Tilton recommends that you need a min of two people and you should do one side of the car simultaneously and then the other.

I am sure that their method is fine but I am quite satisfied with my procedure; although it may have taken a bit longer.

One thing: On my front brakes (Outlaw 4 piston) I seem to be drawing air in because the fittings, when loosened, tend to be a bit sloppy. I'm only opening them maybe a 1/4 turn but even this amount tends to allow air in. This will not interfere with the bleeding procedure but it gives you a false sense of still having air in the line. The rears are Explorer and they do not draw air.
Also on 4 piston calipers make sure you do both fittings.

Hope this helps,
Roscoe