View Single Post
Old 08-13-2023, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Dek View Post
Thanks for your reply Ed and sorry for the delay in responding. Did it earlier then got a text and when I got back it had disappeared into the ether. Firstly I must ask what a pumpkin is? I think this might be a case of two nations separated by a common language?
From what you say a different grade of oil won’t make the diff quieter. I’m pretty sure it’s not a wheel bearing noise or spline. I thought a higher viscosity oil whilst obviously not curing a wear problem might alleviate the noise from it. As far as use is concerned here in the U.K. on congested pot hold roads any “cruising” is only achieved on motorways in the early hours of the morning with the risk of speeding fines from overhead gantry cameras. Ggrrhh!
Dek

Dek,

Pumpkin is a colloquialism in this country for the removable 9" Ford center section containing the ring gear, pinion gear, and gear carrier. Apologies for the ambiguity; it was not intended.

When the noise comes from the ring and pinion, it is caused by improper installation. No amount or type of lube will silence this. The ring and pinion must be replaced with a known good (usually new) ring and pinion and then properly installed. The noise you are hearing comes from a mechanical interference between the incorrectly installed ring and pinion gears. The mechanical interference physically damages the gears such that they can never be reinstalled to produce a silent running rear axle.

PostScript:

You need one of those new-fangled 100KW radar/camera detectors off the dark web. It scans continuously for a threatening device. When it finds one, it locks onto it and zaps it with a 100KW laser blast reducing the electronics and other stuff to a smoldering pile of rubble before the device can see you!

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 08-13-2023 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar