View Single Post
Old 08-22-2023, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427" Stroker Smallblock with Trick flow heads
Not Ranked     

Well I remember when Ben Almeda was Drag Racing punched out 410-440" 351's back in the 90's with 2 bolt mains reliably and I really don't think most Cobras on street tires can load the tires hard enough at 2400 pounds to break anything in the motor, at least up to around 575 or so HP. And Ben was turning his motor a lot higher and with a lot more compression than I am. Ben worked with Coast High Performance on some of the first commercial Windsor stroker kits, In fact my motor was the very first rotating kit sold, and in building it I gave them a lot of feedback whish was useful for improving later kits. So i believe Ben (or at least his racing success) was in a way the father of the SBF stroker as we know it.

I agree that the Aftermarket Windsor blocks use the smaller Cleveland mains which I would prefer, I thought several times about building a Dart motor but TBH my car is plenty fast as it is for me and it has been extremely reliable for the 17 years I've been driving it. I'm sure I could make another 100+ hp but it wouldn't really make anymore USABLE torque rolling on from 2500 rpm and all the noticeable power (over what I already have) wouldn't even start to come on until above 3500-4000 and at by that rpm in the Cobra it's already scaring the crap out of my passengers....so... Basically at that size you turn a 500 hp 6000 rpm engine into a 650+ hp 7000+ rpm engine. 90% of the time I'd never use it.

Last edited by Streetwize; 08-22-2023 at 06:55 AM..