Thread: Introductions
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2023, 12:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Welcome aboard!

If you have not done so already, you will find that synchronizing the throttle openings to provide the same airflow across all eight stacks at the same time and at the same throttle position will be a good first step in your tuning adventure. After that, you will need to begin the tuning process with timing and jetting.

I would suggest initially going easy on the ignition timing and focusing on fuel delivery across all eight cylinders. Once you have consistent delivery, you can begin the process of targeting the AFR your engine most appreciates.

Webers have among the most complete and sophisticated carburetor-style fuel delivery mechanisms. You will need two AFR meters or eight thermocouples going forward. The wide band AFR meters are the least expensive path of the two approaches.

Engine Masters produced an excellent video session on tuning. They used an LS3 and a Hollry 950 XP for their session. Don't get me wrong, a Holley 950 XP is not a Weber. That said, the tuning principles and the circuits are very similar, although the Webers may have additional tuning capabilities and use naming conventions that differ from Holley's. You can find the Engine Masters video on YouTube on the Motor Trend Channel. If you do not have a Motor Trend Channel subscription, you may need one to see the entire video.

Although they did all their tuning, in the video, on an engine dyno, it could also have been done on a chassis dyno or even on the road in the car with an extra set of hands.

The video will give you an excellent starting point, and introduce you to the fuel delivery concepts and mechanics. It will also provide a good working knowledge of how to get to where you want to be from where you are, notwithstanding the different carburetors used.

Check out Engine Masters Season 7, Episode #6. I think you will find it helpful.
You just responded to a spammer uncovered singular post from 2008

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS