View Single Post
Old 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks1 View Post
As to the shunt, am I correct in understanding this is simply a 12 gauge wire from the battery post on the solenoid to the battery post on the alternator? And doing so will route some current away from the ammeter to hopefully get a more normal reading from the gauge (assuming I have no other issues)?
Well, kind of.... Putting a wire from the solenoid to the alternator will bypass the ammeter, but it will bypass other stuff as well. If you look up at Bob P.'s post with the picture of the shunt wire he has it as just going from one post of the ammeter gauge to the other post of the ammeter gauge -- that's like a three inch wire. That's a true shunt wire. I prefer to run a wire from wherever the first convenient connection is on each side of the ammeter which, for me, happens to be a circuit breaker connection and a fuse box connection both on the engine side of the firewall. But that's on an ERA, every manufacturer is different. OTOH, if my ammeter was really, super-duper easy to get to, like being right out in front of my face, so that I didn't even have to bend my back, much less crawl under the dash like an eel, then all I would have done is exactly what Bob's image shows.