View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

While it is true, MKI and MKIII were never used, AC Cars Ltd did use MKII! As F Wilson McComb stated on page 40 of his book AC (Shelby) Cobra: 'Mark II means coil-sprung Cobra in AC's chassis record book but leaf-sprung car to the company's drawing-office or stores". Rinsey Mills has the exact wording from the chassis book on page 6 of his great book, Original AC Ace & Cobra: "MKII Coil Sprung Cobra". I have no idea when the drawing-office used MKII, was it for the rack and pinion cars? Coil-sprung chassis, were the first and only major redesign to the Cobra, after the Tojeiro designed Ace and Cobra leaf-sprung cars! No, neither Shelby nor Ford, completely redesigned the small block cars as some books claim. So there you have it, MKII was used, but was probably not known out side the factory, or even, inside the factory's other department's! McComb sums up best the entire 1960s Cobra production in his book, with the title of chapter 2 "Stranger Then Fiction". That's what I love about the Cobra, they shouldn't exists, but they do, and are the most replicated cars in history, hands down! Cheers, Dennis

'

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 11-01-2023 at 07:20 AM..