View Single Post
Old 12-09-2023, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MkIII S/C,Roush 427SR(351W),5 Spd
Not Ranked     
Default Leaky Fuel Valve Seat

I unexpectedly got two last drives in this week in SW WI, two 50F+ days in December, life is good! When I stopped for the final gas fill before heading home to put it up for the winter, I smelt gas and checked the engine and there was a little gas pooled at the front/mid parts of the intake manifold on both sides. Getting it home and removing the air cleaner, the front fuel valve seat was wet at the top of the carb. Tightened the slotted screw snug to around 5 to 10 degrees rotation and the leakage stopped with the engine was running between 1K and 4k RPM. The engine is a Roush 351W/ 427SR with a Holley 0-80770 4 bbl w/ Electric Choke Vacuum Secondaries, built 6/5/2008. I understand the 0-80770 is a Roush special (of the 4150 vintage?). The engine was built in 2008 and has 15k miles on it.

After searching for this issue, I didn’t find anything on this screw loosening, so my questions are:
1) Does anyone have experience of this screw loosening on their Holley 4 bbl(s) and what did you do?
2) Should I just get new gaskets for the fuel valve screws and replace them proactively or wait to see if it fails/ loosens again?
3) When should the carb be rebuilt? It seems to be running well for the 2k miles I put on it the first year I’ve had the Cobra but I haven’t pulled the plugs yet to see how they are burning, it’s on my to do list at the first of the year. I have no documentation that a carb rebuild has been done on car.

TIA for your input/ advice.
Mike