View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 12:09 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dawg View Post
Saw my first Cobra back in 1967 at a Ford Dealer in Abington, Pennsylvania. It was sitting outside with a window sticker on the windshield. It was red and the sticker price was $10,000. I remember thinking that you could buy a house for that price. I've wanted one ever since and am now finally at a point in my life where I'm starting to look. Backdraft Racing and Superformance both look good to me. Also, I would like to find one with a top. I did see a few online with a fastback hardtop and really loved the look. Seems like you can only get these tops from the UK. No roller cars because I'm not handy with tools. Any tips would be appreciated. Seems like an excellent forum here and quite large!
Well, I think you need to do a little more homework than what "looks good", you need to dig a little deeper and find yourself a few local cars where the owners will allow you to actually sit in them, so you can get a real feel for what the car is, and is not. After that, you can decide if you want something that looks and/or feels like an original, vs something else. You'll find a few SPF's, Backdrafts, ERA's, FFR's, maybe even a Contemporary Cobra replica or two floating around. A few originals, and even a Kirkham have been known to roll in to cars and coffee at the Michelin corporate building on occasion. All can be had with a top, but quite frankly, in the 20++ years I've owned any of my Cobras, I can count on two hands the times I've actually used my tops, maybe both hands and feet for the number of times I've used my tonneau covers. This coming from snow country, then down here roughly ten or so years ago. The fastback or hardtops are a real PIA, besides custom fitting, they are not convenient, nor easy to take on and off. Why buy a cobra convertible, if you do not plan to drive it without a top. Might as well look at Daytona Coupes at that point.

Now, with that said, can't help you with a 427SC test fit, but I do have an ERA 289 FIA I can teach you how to properly get in and out of (hint, you do not touch the windshield or windshield frame, not ever). I'll have it out for my annual New Years Day ride (since 1979) in the morning.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS