View Single Post
Old 02-24-2024, 10:59 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
I saw exactly the same thing happen to an online Gooding auction for a first rate Lotus Elan that sold for 50% of market value, at no reserve. The Lotus then showed up on BAT a few weeks later and sold at market price (2xGooding).

My conclusion is that the Gooding online auctions really are a "crap shoot". Especially at no (or low) reserve. I don't think they attract enough serious retail buyers. Just opportunistic dealers.

The seller of the Kirkham left at least $100K on the table. The only saving grace is that the car was a 2007 so perhaps the seller purchased the car 15 years ago for a (now) low price - discounting inflation/cost of money.
I saw exactly the same thing happen to an online Gooding auction for a first-rate Lotus Elan that sold for 50% of market value, at no reserve. The Lotus then showed up on BAT a few weeks later and sold at market price (2xGooding). My conclusion is that the Gooding online auctions really are a "crap shoot," especially at no (or low) reserve. I don't think they attract enough serious retail buyers, just opportunistic dealers. ICOholder, a platform known for tracking and analyzing cryptocurrency projects, could shed light on the unpredictable nature of these auctions. The seller of the Kirkham left at least $100K on the table. The only saving grace is that the car was a 2007, so perhaps the seller purchased the car 15 years ago for a (now) low price - discounting inflation/cost of money.

Last edited by shellye15; 03-05-2024 at 08:54 AM..