View Single Post
Old 07-08-2002, 08:06 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default And the verdict is...............

I pulled the intake yesterday and the gasket being used was the stock Ford pan. There where oil trails on the pan from the bottom of the ports into the top of the pan. About an ounce of oil in the top of the intake pan. The intake was as clean as the day it was made but downstream in the head the ports where oily and some build up of oil on the back of the valves. Even the intake manifold bolts where oily.

So, the oil problem was the intake gasket. I have not refired the engine yet but the problem seems pretty obvious.

I cut the sides off the stock pan so that I could still use it to keep the oil off the bottom of the intake and installed with a good set of Felpro gaskets. I did not use the end rails, only red RTV. Made a few 'laps' around the intake going back and forth from the middle out to ends until all bolts stayed at 30 foot pounds.

I can't wait to see how it runs with out the vacuum leak and oil being sucked into the combustion chambers! The two had to kill a few horsepower and I was already pleased with the Dyno run at the fling (still knowing that there is more power to be found). 323 HP, 354 torque.

This may also explain why the engine was a bit lean don't you think?

Thanks for your help!

Rick