View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

I heard my name come up so here is my take on things having built my "Arntz/Bennett/Butler/GS motorsports"Cobra. The preceding is the lineage and also the contributing parts producers of my car. I built the car from a 60-70% complete roller. As Jamo has mentioned I have a BB FE which adds to the weight of the car. The steering and front suspension is MGB (if you are looking at a Butler built car check to see if it has the upgraded A-arms and shocks NOT THE STANDARD MGB PARTS) a 7/8 anti-sway bar which greatly improved the handling. I don't have rear bars but did add Alden shocks which also helped the handling. I have Trigo's 7 1/2 with 275/50/15 up front and 9 1/2 275/60/15 in the rear. As mentioned the car is solidly built. If you would like some of the negitives in my opinion here goes:

The setback of the engine is probably a positive and a negitive: it provides a nearly 50/50 center of gravity but also cramps the drivers side footbox. Also you must insolate both foot boxes unless you plan on driving in -30F and need the heat. Getting to the plugs is a challenge and I have been told that you can take the engine out without removing the body but it would be tough to get at some of the bolts.

The only other issue is when other cobra owners get together and start discussing the virtues of SPF or FF you really don't have much to relate to and at times you do get a currious response when someone asks "what kit is that" however, of some comfort is that you can state its "an original" since Arntz (Butler) was the first replica mfg. that makes it an "original replica" sort of like a CSX4000 (sorry,I couldn't resist)

good luck,
Mike "monster"

The views stated are solely those of the author and are presented for the enjoyment of most members. Any resemblance to original products is purely intensional and should be taken with a grain of salt.