Thread: 347
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2002, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hi MoonDog
Totally agree, the body moulding to me was a concern when I first got the kit. In a past life I had worked in the marine field and was used to glass boat manufacturers who had fair mouldings, nice even gaps around hatches ( by "fair" I mean straight, smooth, no bumps and hollows) , and at the very least, had left the hull in the mould until they at least cured to be reasonably stable. Even years later these same hulls are still fair.
To me, it appeared that my body was pulled from the mould whilst it was still " green". Because of the uneven laminate, the areas of resin rich laminate, the body has distorted ( for want of a better description) and now has areas that require a large amount of filling to make fair again. ( like 1/4")
Now, I know polyester continues to cure and move, but i do expect a fair, properly cured body when I get it.
The areas that concern me more so and that to which 750 refers, are areas where the glass was not properly satuated and rolled into the resin. I have a large area on a rear guard where bubbles under the gelcoat have erupted and now need filling.
To some one with a painted car, thats hearbreaking.