Thread: 347
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2002, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default This has new glass alongside 10 year old glass.

750HP
If the front corner is already on .... no, nothing u can do. Fortunately, the front corner is so shaped that its inherent shape will remain, however, wheather the repair line appears thru your paint is a function of the workmanship of the repairer.
I know this sounds a little silly and I'll prolly be yelled down by a heap of " expert" fibreglass guys, but, the successfully hidden panel repairs I have been involved with have all used Epoxy as the repair resin and filler.
Polyester really doesnt like sticking to itself too well, even after aggressive scoring/sanding/grinding and has a poor secondary bond.
Epoxy, has different flex properties is more flexible than polyester ( ie. will flex as much as the polyester panel..and them some). It also has a much higher secondary bond.
If i were to replace a front quarter, especially on an older moulding, then all glass work would be with epoxy resin ( The replacement panel would of course be polyester )and any exterior filler would be Epoxy because of its lower shrinkage ( 1 to 2%) lastly, epoxy fillers will generally feather finer.

Last edited by Rebel1; 07-22-2002 at 04:37 AM..