Thread: 347
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2002, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

OZ - It scared the **** out of me at the time, but it sure makes for an interesting conversation over a quiet beer or two. The guy in the passenger seat was REALLY lucky t get out of it unscathed. Funny thing - about a month later, we had a 351 XY Ford over at this same guys garage to fit a C4 trans. The owner of the car had done most of the work, but wanted a hand to start the motor for the first time. Long story short, after everything was checked the car was started. It ran fine @ 2000rpm, but as soon as the engine was revved up for the first time, the car launched forward with both tyres howling and smashed head-on into a VERY substantial metal framed work bench. The owner of the car had installed a new shifter, and the cable was WAY out of adjustment. It had been in gear all along, but there was seemingly not enough fluid in the trans to engage the gear. A few more revs must have pushed enough fluid through to make the difference and then it all hit the fan!!!
Thousands of dollars damage, and the guy that narrowly survived some serious damage in my Cobra was literally 6 inches away from being wedged between the car and the bench. He would certainly have lost his legs.....

He's gotten away from us twice - third time lucky huh???