View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Venum S - If it's on a carb and on the street the resounding answer is YES! In fact I would not even consider using a factory 4-bolt stock block even if I had one (I DO) because if I screw a engine up racing it, I don't want to chance destroying a expensive block. Use main studs and a steel main girdle such as a Blue Thunder and you will be in fine shape. The use of a main girdle will dictate the use of a custom oil pan though. Make sure that the pan is as short as possibe to fit that FF5. Another option is to use aftermarket 4-bolt caps on a stock block but that wiil require machining the block and line boring the mains. Dependant on the block and aftermarket main caps you use (this varies) a 4-bolt/from 2-bolt block done this way is usially stronger than a factory stock 4-bolt block! I know of a 2-bolt block with a main girdle that's in a blown alcohol dragster and this is the second season on this engine. My blown 544 produces numbers no where close to that engine either and I am not even thinking about the bottom end of my engine. As for the SVT block the only REAL advantage I see with those blocks are you can bore them out more and with taller deck heights this gives you better rod ratio's, though this to has room for dispute if it is even worth while. Also the SVT blocks are stronger on cam webbing to. What's a Iron SVT 460 iron block cost now? Last time I looked it was around 1700$ I seem to remember.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 07-31-2002 at 10:09 AM..