View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #724, 427W
Not Ranked     
Question PacNW Motor Shops

Guys, I'm seeking some advice on reputable engine shops in our region. I've got a Coast High Performance 408W "Dominator" motor that I had them spec and assemble a long block for my SPF.

I had specified a lot of precision work and such things as fully balanced, blueprinted all forged crank assy., degreed hyd. roller cam, ARP studded everything, the works. To that I added all quality finish products (MSD ignition, Holley, Weiand, Edelbrock, etc.). All that stuff is working OK, adjusted, jetted, etc.

I've had a number of problems with the motor out of the crate: Damper indexed wrong; I used the old proven TDC piston stop to find true TDC, re-marked the $pendy Romac damper, and find out the timing marks move around on me, as if the damper ring is faulty. Valve clatter that i can't adjust out, a Melling HV oil pump that can't put out more than 40 psi regardless of rpm, 25 psi idle pressure, and now a blown head gasket with less than 2 hours of break-in time, after re-torquing everything.

I'm at my limit of competence as far as tearing the motor down and diagnostics, so am seeking a well-regarded motor shop somewhere in OR/WA/NorCal to do this for me. I would like to have good reliable findings in the event there is a need to seek remedy from CHP for improper assembly, parts, or whatever may have contributed to the problems. (Obviously, if i missed something, that's my bad, not theirs.)

Anyhow, can I get some recommendations from you folks for shops to contact? I want a shop that can handle the diagnostics and the corrections, can work with the car (I'm not in the mood to pull the motor back out just yet), and is known by you to be good.

Any leads would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

TimV.